• Advertisement

• Administrator
  •  
    If you have problems with registration or you did not receive confirmation letter, let us know and we will activate your account manually.

Transparency vs black

A branch of the forum to discuss everything that is connected with Amazfit Bip

Moderator: Bip moderators

nishu
WF maker
Bangladesh

Transparency vs black

Post by nishu » 12 Nov 2018, 09:00

Hello,

I've read in a post that we should make unnecessary pixels as transparent, so does it reduce image size and improves battery life?

I'm trying to make a watchface where background color is primarily black as most of the faces in here.

Here, the left image is showing how the week days will be shown. It's quite long, but for the design, it seems necessary.
Now to reduce color pixels of the 7 images, instead of cutting that in 7 pieces and show them as it is, what I've done is make a common "template" for the days (top right), which will be on the default background image.
Then the 7 images of the week now have the only colors needed to "change" the template to show the correct one.
The right portion is showing the 7 images where the red color area will be transparent.

Now was it helpful to reduce bin size and improve battery life etc.? I'm not sure if the files size are making much difference here or not. Or did I just made a mess trying to over engineer the things?

Thanks in advance!

NB: In our country, Fri and Sat are considered as weekend, so here in my example week starts from Sun instead of Mon. That is not a mistake, I've made it that way.

rubylark
United States of America

Re: Transparency vs black

Post by rubylark » 15 Nov 2018, 21:53

I don't believe bin file size is correlated to battery life except tangentially. The number of updates and the number pixels changed during those updates is the main thing you want to optimize.

For days of the week, optimization isn't really necessary unless you're bumping up against the 200kB limit. If you were doing something similar with the minutes/seconds (I don't know what that would even look like) or anything else that is updated frequently, then optimization would be worth it. For everything else that only changes after long intervals, how much you want to optimize is up to personal preference, but the battery improvement you see will be negligible. So if you have something similar with months, it's probably not worth the effort.

I personally appreciate how much effort you went to on making those days of the week as optimized as possible. It's crazy looking, but I bet it squeezes down those file sizes quite a bit.

nishu
WF maker
Bangladesh

Re: Transparency vs black

Post by nishu » 06 Dec 2018, 15:34

rubylark wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 21:53
I don't believe bin file size is correlated to battery life except tangentially. The number of updates and the number pixels changed during those updates is the main thing you want to optimize.

For days of the week, optimization isn't really necessary unless you're bumping up against the 200kB limit. If you were doing something similar with the minutes/seconds (I don't know what that would even look like) or anything else that is updated frequently, then optimization would be worth it. For everything else that only changes after long intervals, how much you want to optimize is up to personal preference, but the battery improvement you see will be negligible. So if you have something similar with months, it's probably not worth the effort.

I personally appreciate how much effort you went to on making those days of the week as optimized as possible. It's crazy looking, but I bet it squeezes down those file sizes quite a bit.
Hi,

Thanks for your kind reply. here it is finally:
https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/bip/view/?id=17256

I'd be grateful if you have any suggestions. thanks.