• Advertisement

• Administrator

Search options?

Questions about the main site. Authorship questions.

Moderator: Internal error

novw
Korea North

Re: Search options?

Post by novw » 22 Dec 2018, 14:29

You have a different website as me? I can "filter" on language. No more than that.

GIK-Team
root
Ukraine

Post by GIK-Team » 22 Dec 2018, 21:50

novw wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 14:29
You have a different website as me? I can "filter" on language. No more than that.
This feature available on Top: https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/bip/top
or filter by tag e.g.: https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/search/bi ... nds,analog

mikebounds
WF maker
Great Britain

Post by mikebounds » 19 Mar 2019, 11:10

There is a particular problem with searching for watch faces in different languages:
When creating a watch with multiple languages you can select option "Multilingual" or choose one of the languages, so suppose I create a watchface that has EN and ES.
If I choose option Multilingual, then if a user seaches for lang EN or ES, then they will not find the watch
If I choose option EN, then if a user seaches for lang Multilingual (or ES), then they will not find the watch
If I choose option ES, then if a user seaches for lang Multilingual (or EN), then they will not find the watch

Possible resolutions for this are:
1. Allow user to create a watch with Multiple languages, so that they add each language, rather than only be able to add 1
2. Interpret tags, EN, ES as languages in a language seach, so that if you create tags of EN and ES (with watch face lang Multilingual), then searches using lang EN, ES or Multilingual will all find the watch face

GIK-Team
root
Ukraine

Post by GIK-Team » 19 Mar 2019, 11:52

mikebounds wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 11:10
There is a particular problem with searching for watch faces in different languages:
When creating a watch with multiple languages you can select option "Multilingual" or choose one of the languages, so suppose I create a watchface that has EN and ES.
If I choose option Multilingual, then if a user seaches for lang EN or ES, then they will not find the watch
If I choose option EN, then if a user seaches for lang Multilingual (or ES), then they will not find the watch
If I choose option ES, then if a user seaches for lang Multilingual (or EN), then they will not find the watch

Possible resolutions for this are:
1. Allow user to create a watch with Multiple languages, so that they add each language, rather than only be able to add 1
2. Interpret tags, EN, ES as languages in a language seach, so that if you create tags of EN and ES (with watch face lang Multilingual), then searches using lang EN, ES or Multilingual will all find the watch face
We initially had a problem with this issue. When uploading watchfaces to the website, users were not quite correctly understanding this field and were using it differently that was intended by us. The "Multilingual" option implies the absence of language dependence, i.e. there is no text on the watchface. And all the other watchfaces were supposed to be added one for each language. Soon we will try to resolve this issue, explaining to our users how to use it, directly in the process of downloading the file. Or we change the whole system.

mikebounds
WF maker
Great Britain

Post by mikebounds » 19 Mar 2019, 16:41

I think you should use the term "Language neutral" as "Multilingual" means many languages.
Are you saying if I have a watch face with multiple languages which have identical layout and only the language is different, then I should create a unique page for each watchface, rather than loading multiple watchfaces into one page like top of the week watchface https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/bip/view/8159

Mike

GIK-Team
root
Ukraine

Post by GIK-Team » 19 Mar 2019, 19:32

mikebounds wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 16:41
I think you should use the term "Language neutral" as "Multilingual" means many languages.
Are you saying if I have a watch face with multiple languages which have identical layout and only the language is different, then I should create a unique page for each watchface, rather than loading multiple watchfaces into one page like top of the week watchface https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/bip/view/8159

Mike
You are right. After we will deal with the application, we will begin to solve the issue with languages. Thank you!

mikebounds
WF maker
Great Britain

Post by mikebounds » 19 Mar 2019, 22:29

I don't think this is a good idea to create multiple pages for the same watch face in different languages. I have created a watch face which so far has 6 languages and I plan to add more which are currently under 1 page. If I had these on separate pages then if I created a version 2 (to improve or fix an issue), then I would then have to change 6 pages, which would be extra effort on my part, but I think a bigger issue is it would mean 6 watch faces would then appear in "Updated New" which would be identical apart from an abbreviated 2 letter day of the week, so making it harder to search for watchfaces if there are lots of duplicates.
I think if a watch face has multiple version which differ in language 12/24hr, colour or font, but the layout is the same, then it is better to put them all under one page as it is easier to create and manage by the creator and better for users who WANT to find the watch face and users who do NOT want the watch face as with multiple page it floods the watch face listings.

GIK-Team
root
Ukraine

Post by GIK-Team » 20 Mar 2019, 05:57

mikebounds wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 22:29
I don't think this is a good idea to create multiple pages for the same watch face in different languages. I have created a watch face which so far has 6 languages and I plan to add more which are currently under 1 page. If I had these on separate pages then if I created a version 2 (to improve or fix an issue), then I would then have to change 6 pages, which would be extra effort on my part, but I think a bigger issue is it would mean 6 watch faces would then appear in "Updated New" which would be identical apart from an abbreviated 2 letter day of the week, so making it harder to search for watchfaces if there are lots of duplicates.
I think if a watch face has multiple version which differ in language 12/24hr, colour or font, but the layout is the same, then it is better to put them all under one page as it is easier to create and manage by the creator and better for users who WANT to find the watch face and users who do NOT want the watch face as with multiple page it floods the watch face listings.
Can you describe exactly how you see this option?

mikebounds
WF maker
Great Britain

Post by mikebounds » 20 Mar 2019, 10:33

Create one watch face page with versions including multiple languages and then either:
1. In the option "Watchface language" when you create watchface, allow addition of multiple language, rather than only be able to add 1
2. Interpret tags that are country codes such as EN, ES as languages in a language search, so that if you a watchface has tags of EN and ES, then searches using lang EN, ES will both find the watch face.

Option 2 would seem to be easier to implement as you only have to change the language search code and also some users (including myself) already add country codes as tags so they wouldn't need to edit their watchfaces.

Also if you go for option 2, you could possibly do without the language search all together and just use a better implementation of tags, but this is a much bigger job and probably an option for the future:

The issue with search and tags is that:
1. There are not pre-defined tags for all options - like DND, bluetooth
2. Much bigger issue is you cannot search on pre-defined tags (i.e you have to type in a tag - you can't choose from a list of pre-defined tags)
3. Tag option does not appear when you initially search and so for example at https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/bip/ you have to first do a search and THEN you get the option to search by tag.
4. Search searches username, so for example if I search for "dog", then the first page of 16 matches, are users with the string "dog" in their username, not watchfaces with "dog" in the title or as a tag

To give an example of issue 2, if a user, wants a watch that shows heartrate, then they may search for pulse, bpm, heartbeat, heartrate and even if a user starts typing the correct tag (the predefined "heartrate"), then after typing "he", the first 2 options are heart and heartbeat and "heartrate" is the 5th option, so how do they know which one to choose?

For me the default search should search title and tags and then there should be another option (on main page) for "search by tag" or "advanced search") which brings up option for all features on watch - something like:

Language:
Analog/Digital:
12hr / 24hr:
Weather: Icons Current Temp, Day (max) temp Night (min) temp
Activity: STEPS, STEPS GOAL, STEPS PROGRESS, STEPS GOAL ICON, PULSE, CALORIES, DISTANCE

etc
+ Free text search:

So user can simply click on the features they want on watch (not type them in) and then you can do a search on exact matches and near matches
And all course all these tags should be listed when you create a watchface, so that watchface creators can just easily add the features that are on their watchfaces (or even possibly do this automatically if web server opens bin file and detects features used, or allow creator to upload a "json" file and extract features from this as I guess the web server is probably Linux and the bin extract tool only works on Windows and also extracting bin adds extra complexity and resource usage)

Mike